March 7, 2018

Why I need to listen to the Holy Spirit



Dear hubby and I talked last night about patience and about knowing when to say something and knowing when to be quiet. We decided that patience in that regard has no ‘rules’ to standardize when to speak. For example, if someone does something that riles our spirit, the only way to know if we should say nothing or rebuke them is by listening to the Holy Spirit.

For me, listening to God usually gets foggy if I am offended or upset. I need to be quiet and wait until the Spirit speaks, but sometimes His voice is loud and clear. For instance, if the offense is not against me but someone else is being attacked, the Lord usually tells me to say or do something. In other words, the leading of the Holy Spirit is the guide, not a set of norms or rules or what seems acceptable to others.

Knowing my spiritual gifts is helpful. The list of gifts from Romans 12 are called motivational gifts in that they describe a person’s bent. That is, those gifted as a teacher love to gather information, check facts themselves, and use it to help people think biblically. Those gifted in compassion want people to feel good, have good relationships, and experience biblical assurance. The other gifts also come with distinctive desires and characteristics.

Today, Tozer talks about the danger of becoming a pastor without being called to that role. I believe there is a danger in doing anything without being called to that task by the Holy Spirit. Even as a homemaker, I know what God wants me to do next. I know it when I look over my daily to-do list. When shopping, I know it when to stop and go home. That is, I know it when I’m paying attention.
The verses in Romans 12 that come prior to the list of gifts is also helpful. They describe the attitude to have when doing anything in the Body of Christ . . .

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them . . . in proportion to our faith . . .  (Romans 12:3–6)

Preaching or any form of Christian service is not about education or experience, although the wise preacher will go seminary and take every opportunity to practice. Young Billy Graham is said to have preached to the birds. While Christians often speak of preaching or missionary work as a calling, I believe if the Holy Spirit tells me to visit the sick, start a ministry to feed homeless people, teach Sunday school, or drive seniors to and from church, that too is a calling, a call from God to be obeyed. As Tozer says, we need to pay attention to the sovereign right of the Holy Spirit to call whom He will.

Tozer also says a church that is man-managed instead of God-governed is doomed to failure. Education, personal skills, even the spiritual gifts require being filled with the Holy Spirit. Tozer is talking about the body of Christ in a local setting, yet this applies to me as an individual member of that Body. I cannot use my gift rightly without God’s Spirit enabling and motivating. That means if He says shut up, then my lips are sealed. If He says I must rebuke a person for their sin, then in His power and grace, I must do what He calls me to do.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this means paying attention. It also instructs me as I pray for our church and church leaders. They need to hear You and obey according to the way You have gifted them. You might put some in places that seem contrary to their gifts, yet compassion people can teach — they will just do it differently that someone gifted in leadership, giving, or even teaching. I remember asking You about taking care of my parents when my lowest gift scores were in serving and compassion, and You told me that doing this would make a better teacher out of me. Again, give me and all Your children ears to hear and hearts to obey.

No comments: