March 10, 2018

The One who carries my load



A Christian woman repeatedly said that anyone who has the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues. At first, I was annoyed and needed forgiveness for my attitude. After calming down I simply said, “There are many other ways that the Holy Spirit expresses Himself.” It may have been those words or something else, but she turned from that emphasis and began talking about the Holy Spirit with a greater balance.

I’ve often noticed how controversy is created when Christians go from one extreme to another with certain Bible teachings. Another example is the problem we have about God’s sovereignty and human freedom both being true. Our reasoning interferes and so we make it an ‘either/or’ matter. However, these opposites can be held in tension by faith and by admitting we cannot understand the ways of Almighty God.

As for the teachings about the Holy Spirit, Tozer says the Spirit is not given the importance by Christians that He is given in Scripture. We know He is God and does amazing things, but we pick the parts that appeal, maybe because most of the work He does focuses on our need, our inability to do what God wants. Without the Holy Spirit, I am useless, and I’m not too keen about saying so!
However, God knows our faith falters without a helper. The Greek word is “Paraclete” and this is a gift from Him received at salvation . . .

Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” (Acts 2:36–39)

The Holy Spirit is a truly amazing gift. The list of what He does in the lives of God’s people is long and varied. He makes Jesus real to us. He clarifies the Word of God, enabling us to understand it, but also to obey it. He aids our prayers and comforts us when we suffer. Books have been written about what He does. I have space here for one story . . .

Ian Coffey in a publication called “Deep Impact,” tells how translators of the New Testament struggled with the Greek word “Paraclete.” The Karre language of equatorial Africa didn’t have an equivalent term. However, one day these translators saw a group of porters going off into the bush carrying bundles on their heads and noticed one man didn’t carry anything. They assumed he was a leader making certain the others did their work, but that was not the case. The porters said this person was with them in case someone fell with exhaustion. If that happened, this man would pick up that man’s load and carry it for him. In their language, this porter was known as “the one who falls down beside us.”

With that, the translators had their word for Paraclete.

As I read this, I thought of my own independence and pride, my ‘I can do it myself’ attitude. Could that be at the root of our neglect of the Holy Spirit? Are we so determined to take matters into our own hands, to be strong and able to ‘do it all’ that we do not need anyone “who falls down beside us”? I must admit that is often true in my life.

^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Lord Jesus, sometimes I’ve thought and said that my self-sufficiency is gift from You when it is actually a sinful attitude rooted in pride. You have shown me that this attitude keeps me from relying on You. The Bible is clear — only those who realize their weakness and needs are truly able to depend on Your great power. It is only then that the glory goes to the One who deserves it, the Paraclete who carries my load and humbly allows me to look good when He deserves all the credit.

No comments: