March 6, 2018

Levels of Maturity



When something stresses me and goes unresolved before morning, I usually ask God to speak about it through my devotions. Yesterday, a person made fun of something I was saying in seriousness. It offended me. I tried to rationalize by noting that the group of people we were in had not been serious about anything, so this was just another expression of their main attitude. However, we had just finished praying together, so it was unexpected.

God didn’t say anything directly about being offended, not retaliating, not holding a grudge or becoming bitter, probably because He knows that I know these things. He did speak about the different levels of maturity in the Body of Christ. Since these are my devotions, I need to consider what He says about my level of maturity, not that of the person whom I felt was rude to me.

Tozer says God’s life in Christians does not depend on our social status. All believers belong to His Body: Jew and Gentile, rich and poor, Greek and barbarian. We are all part of the Body of Christ, and He Christ is the Head.

That said, I’m reminded that none of us are in this exalted place because we are perfect, or even close to it. All have sinned and fall short of God’s glory. I cannot look down my nose at anyone.

However, when we receive the gift of eternal life and the Holy Spirit comes to live in our hearts, He motivates us to obey the teachings of the New Testament. As Tozer says, these teachings are so plain and so detailed that it is difficult to understand how they could appear different to persons living under different political systems or on different cultural levels. But, as he says, those differences, as real as they are, are not based on those differing circumstances. The reason lies in the imperfect state of believers, regardless of what is going on in their lives..

All of us need to grow. God’s goal is that we become like Jesus. Certainly, any Christians who make fun of people need to take another look at Him and realize He did not do that. The closest He came to mocking was directed against religious hypocrites, yet it was not so much the people under His glare, but their belief systems. And He was totally serious in what He said.

But what about me and my ‘hurt feelings’ over someone poking fun at me? Am I too sensitive? Was this a selfish or carnal response?

Before I got out of bed, Jesus reminded me that He was constantly mocked — I am in good company. He also reminded me that lack of love in someone else does not give me the right to stew about it in anger or even annoyance. How many times have I offended people? How many times have I been rude or thoughtless toward the feelings of others? How much patience has been shown me by most of them? How much patience has Christ shown with me when I have not loved (or forgiven) others whom I decided did not deserve my patience?

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. (Hebrews 5:7–8)

With that, Tozer ends with the statement that I do not belong to myself but to God. He calls me to regard whatever happens to me as a plan to bring me to maturity, to be like Jesus — who did not retaliate against those who treated Him badly but trusted the One who judges righteously. Tozer asks, “Do I regard His temple, my body, as more mine than His?”

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I’m hearing You say, “Do you regard your body, your emotions, or anything else as more mine than yours? Have I no right as your Savior to show you all areas of your life where you need to trust me? I will take care of immaturity in others, so let me take care of it in you.” Of course. Jesus is my Savior. Therefore, yes and amen.

No comments: