March 19, 2018

Become what you love . . .


A quilt is usually made of many pieces of fabric intricately joined together with considerable thought concerning color, shape, values and other design elements. It is not finished at that point, although many quilters stop there and commission someone else to do the quilting. In that process, the completed top is layered over backing fabric with a filler called batting, then stitched together in a plain or intricate pattern. As many say, it is this quilting that makes the quilt.

I love the process. I also love the parallels of the process to the spiritual formation in the lives of God’s people. All the bits work together to make a life pleasing to the Lord and a comfort and blessing to those around them.
Tozer says that we are becoming what we love. Our first love must be Jesus Christ. He tested Peter on this matter, looking for a love that would be obedient to His commands:

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. (John 21:15–17)

Jesus knew that serving Him would bring out the best in Peter. This man was just like many Christians. He began with a love for the plan of God, even though he didn’t really know what it was. He was zealous and vocal, hasty, bold, and sometimes terrified. But in his heart, he loved Jesus and stayed as close to Him as he could.

Jesus knew Peter’s heart. He might have been thinking of him when He said, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.” Whoever was on His mind, this is a truth for every believer. Because faith and the blood of Christ has purified our hearts, we can look into the face of Christ. In the looking, we are transformed.
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:18)
Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. (1 John 3:2–3)
Tozer says we become what we love. We see it all the time. Loving couples begin to mimic one another’s gestures. This mimicry is even related to eye contact, and eye contact effects emotions. I’ve read that friends become lovers when eye contact increases. That is, those who can sustain that intimate gaze, even as an experiment, wind up getting married. Little wonder the Bible connects looking at Jesus with becoming united to Him and like Him!

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, sometimes I feel as if my vision is fuzzy and my eyes need stronger glasses. That is a problem but only physical. I can look at You through the eyes of faith, and that vision does not depend on clear eyes but a pure heart, a heart that is quick to see and renounce sin, which desires Your will above my own and is not marred by any useless or harmful focus on the stuff of this world. My praise for today comes from two lines of song: “Purify my heart” and “I want to see Jesus.” Keep my eyes on You.

No comments: